Sunday, August 28, 2011

Logo Design for Kidsons Cycles (Final Works)

I am now satisfied with the final logo design for Kidsons Cycles, the final logo design is based on what I've personally liked, as well as experimentation as well as feedback from various people, but as I upload the image of my final work, I'll be explaining in how I came about the concept.

Do bear with me as I'm not so good with explaining concepts, but here it goes:

Here is the final logo designs (click on image for better detail):






















But before I explain on the whole colour schemes, typeface, etc. The Research section mentions in how I went on with the overall design process of the logos

RESEARCH:

I went for that particular design as after some research with regards to Cycling Shops and the Cycling Scene in general, I found that minimal logo design works best for this particular business (particularly with Image 3 as you will see below), here are some examples that I've found to prove that point:













Image 1: Dash Bike Shop (http://www.dashbicycle.com)














Image 2: Rock N' Road Cyclery (http://www.rocknroadcyclery.net/index.php)












Image 3: Fanatik Bike Co. (http://fanatikbike.com/)

Based on the research on the client's competitor's logos, I got inspiration from the sprocket in the first logo as well the typeface in the second logo and the colour scheme (what looks like a 'Banana' Yellow - I think) in the third logo.

DESIGN:

I went with a design that with minimalism and function at mind (as shown with the three logos that I've came across). So I've picked out elements out of the three logos and decided to go with that.

In addition, I wanted to modernise the Kidsons Cycles as the existing one, felt a bit 90's at best. So I decided to change the font a bit, I initially went the Myriad Pro font, but it was criticised for being 'too business like', then I came across a font called 'Motschcc' (I don't know why it's called that), I went with that font because it was I felt both Modern and 'Technical', and that's something I felt it could work well with a cycling shop logo.

COLOUR CHOICE:

As for the colour design for the custom colour in the final design Kidsons Cycles Logo, in addition to one with the client colours (the orange and the dark blue), I initially had two colour schemes:

The first one was with kind of a 'banana' yellow with a dark shade of grey, or something similar to that from the Fanatik Bike Co Logo as it was for the purpose of logo design, energetic and attention-seeking (more information on that can be found at http://www.logocritiques.com/resources/color_psychology_in_logo_design/).

The second colour, the light shade of green with, again with a dark shade of grey.

The green is often regarded as a refreshing colour and easy on the eye, this is based on reference from the following websites:

http://www.cottagehomedecorating.com/green-color-scheme.html

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/colors1.html

In addition, I've also got some inspiration of the green colour from that from the 'Monster Energy' Caffeine Drinks, as shown below:











(unrelated to the whole cycling industry, but something that was worth mentioning - the company's site can be access by clicking here)

I considered the client colours inappropriate for the logo design as the current colour scheme as over the place (whilst I felt the orange can work, as though less intense, the orange is a strong and commanding colour nevertheless but the blue I feel is rather too dark and somewhat cold, as mentioned here).

A common element with the custom colour schemes in the logo design is the grey, I went with the grey as it is regarded as a neutral colour and is often paired with other colours (The information on the grey in logo design was found on this website - http://www.logocritiques.com/resources/color_psychology_in_logo_design/)

For the final logo design with the custom colour, based on my personal views as well as feedback from various people, I went with the green/grey colour scheme.

No comments: